UFC light heavyweight contender Aleksander Rakic has slammed suggestions middleweight champion Israel Adesanya could make a second move up to compete at heavyweight.
Rakic, 29, like Adesanya, is also preparing to feature on UFC 259’s main-card on the weekend.
The powerful Austrian fighter is set to kick-off the exciting event’s main-card when he will go against the absolutely terrifying Thiago Santos.
However, speaking ahead of the mouth-watering event, Rakic has been quick to weigh-in on the debate surrounding Adesanya’s plans for greatness.
The Nigerian-born striker is set to make his light heavyweight debut on Sunday morning (UK time) where he will face-off against champion Jan Blachowicz.
Despite never throwing a punch at 205lbs, there is already increasing speculation that the kickboxing star is eyeing a move to heavyweight for a mega-fight against Jon Jones.
Whilst speaking to BT Sport’s Adam Catterall earlier this week in the build-up to 259, Adesanya said: “I told you, you can’t run from me.
“You can run to heavyweight but you can’t run from me.”
Should the 31-year-old go on to beat Blachowicz on the weekend, Adesanya will become just the fifth UFC fighter to have held two belts simultaneously.
However, shockingly, should the New Zealander go on to replicate his success at light heavyweight in the heavyweight division, he’s achievements will be unprecedented.
Despite the hugely exciting prospect of seeing sporting history play out in front of our eyes, one person who is yet to be impressed is fellow contender Rakic.
Whilst speaking recently during the UFC’s scheduled media day, the 29-year-old, when asked about Adesanya’s future plans, said: “They should put an interim title as soon as possible then because you cannot defend three titles.
“You cannot defend a middleweight, light heavyweight and then go up and defend heavyweight.
“There are guys waiting you know, for our shot.
“This would be disrespectful for us.”