Hartlepool have expressed their extreme disappointment at the Football Association’s decision to hand defender Carl Magnay a six-match ban for spitting at a spectator.
Magnay, 26, denied a charge of misconduct at a disciplinary hearing but the FA’s Independent Regulatory Commission found him guilty of the offence following an incident during Hartlepool’s defeat at Wycombe last month and have also fined him £750.
Hartlepool said in a brief statement that the club is waiting for the IRC’s written report before deciding how to respond but would continue to back the player.
“The club is extremely disappointed by the decision of the Independent Regulatory Commission following the charge made against Carl Magnay,” the club said.
“We will now await the written reasons for their verdict before deciding how best to proceed but would like to make it absolutely clear that Carl retains our full and unwavering support.”
Magnay, signed from Grimsby in the summer, was shown a straight red card for his challenge on Wycombe substitute Ryan Sellers and the incident is alleged to have taken place after his dismissal.
An FA statement read: “Hartlepool United’s Carl Magnay has been suspended for six matches and fined £750 after he was charged for spitting at a spectator.
“The incident occurred after his dismissal in the 85th minute of the game against Wycombe Wanderers on September 5, 2015.
“The charge, which he denied at a personal hearing, was found proven following an Independent Regulatory Commission.
“The player’s suspension is set aside pending receipt of the Regulatory Commission’s written reasons for the decision.”
Magnay, who has featured prominently for Ronnie Moore’s side this season, has already served a three-match ban for his red card.