David Meyler knocks out Swansea while Man City rout Sunderland in Capital One Cup

Posted by

Steve Bruce’s Hull claimed a Premier League scalp as David Meyler’s first-half effort sunk 2013 winners Swansea 1-0 at the KC Stadium.

The visitors had dominated the early exchanges with Eder hitting the woodwork and Gylfi Sigurdsson having a shot cleared off the line before Meyler fired home from close range.

Meanwhile Manchester City heaped more misery on Sunderland as they eased to a 4-1 Capital One Cup win at the Stadium of Light.

Manuel Pellegrini’s men responded superbly to their shock Premier League loss to West Ham at the weekend by scoring four goals in the opening 36 minutes.

Sergio Aguero fired home a ninth-minute penalty to give City the lead and the excellent Kevin De Bruyne made it two on 25 by finishing off a swift counter-attack.

Vito Mannone conceded an unfortunate own goal eight minutes later after Raheem Sterling’s effort struck the woodwork and rebounded into the net off the keeper’s back.

Sterling got on the scoresheet himself three minutes later and while Dick Advocaat’s men grabbed a second-half consolation through Ola Toivonen it did little to ease the mood of gloom on Wearside.

Rudy Gestede headed a 62nd minute winner as Aston Villa edged home 1-0 in a tight derby clash with Birmingham at Villa Park.

The visitors started better but Tim Sherwood turned the tide by introducing Jordan Ayew and Jack Grealish at half-time and Gestede powered home the winner just past the hour mark.

Everton survived a scare as they came from behind to beat Reading 2-1 at the Madejski Stadium.

Nick Blackman gave Reading the half-time advantage but Ross Barkley equalised just past the hour and the visitors won it 11 minutes later when Gerard Deulofeu crashed home a long-range free-kick.

A 33rd minute effort from Peter Crouch proved enough for Stoke to beat Fulham 1-0 at Craven Cottage.

But the Premier League side were forced to withstand a serious Fulham assault with Dan Burn hitting the woodwork in the dying seconds.

Middlesbrough cruised to a 3-0 win over Wolves at the Riverside Stadium with two goals from Albert Adomah and one for Diego Fabbrini.

Andy King headed the winner four minutes from the end of extra time as Leicester beat West Ham 2-1 at the King Power Stadium.

Joe Dodoo put the Foxes in front after just six minutes before Mauro Zarate equalised from long-range, and Hammers keeper Adrian kept the visitors in the game until King’s late strike.

Bournemouth held their nerve to edge past Championship Preston on penalties after a 2-2 draw at Deepdale.

The visitors made nine changes to the team who beat Sunderland on Saturday but went ahead after 23 minutes through a Shaun MacDonald header.

Jordan Hugill equalised for Preston and despite Marc Pugh’s strike early in extra time, Preston drew level once again through Daniel Johnson’s late penalty.

But the hosts blew their chance from the spot as Hugill, Johnson and Alan Browne all missed to send Eddie Howe’s men through.

More Stories Soccer Sport